Says Dr. Zwiebel, “I truly believe men, women, and young people can save months and years of anguish by practicing these time-tested, practical principles of mental health.”
Charlotte, NC (PRWEB)
June 30, 2017
In his widely heralded new book, “Before You See a Shrink!” noted psychiatrist Dr. Dirk Zwiebel recommends five lifestyle changes for better mental health. They include:
1. Make sure your lifestyle has an “others” component. Join a group, volunteer. Isolated people are far more likely to battle mental health issues than those who are involved in social or community activities.
2. Keep a healthy schedule. Avoid a helter-skelter timetable. Your body and mind work best when they are on a consistent sleep/wake cycle.
3. Get moving! Even a small amount of daily physical activity will make a significant difference in your mental outlook.
4. Keep up with the news. Focusing on local, national, and world events keeps your mind active—thinking about a variety of topics instead of constantly concentrating on your own problems.
5. Build relationships. Instead of wallowing in self-pity, fresh faces, new conversations, and a change in your social environment can work wonders.
After founding one of the nation’s largest counseling centers, Dr. Zwiebel believes that many emotional or mental problems, uncontrollable urges, anxieties, and other behavioral symptoms can be self-diagnosed and resolved by the patients themselves.
In his new book, the author addresses steps to take when facing a mental setback, strategies for defeating addictions and negative habits, dealing with pent-up emotions, fears, phobias, and compulsions.
Says Dr. Zwiebel, “I truly believe men, women, and young people can save months and years of anguish by practicing these time-tested,…